I had this dinner roll during my last trip to Massachusetts when visiting one of our friend.
She made this dinner roll without bread flour and I find it interesting and I like to try it out and share this.
The bread turn out to be soft and not too heavy compared with bread flour. I alter her recipe to 1 cup of wheat flour for my hubby’s health. I also have some left over ham which I cut them in cube and roll them up for rising!
To make the bread like a flower shape, I set the dough in a rouded bunt pan. keeping the dough 1-2cm away from each dough and lined them up side by side. When the dough rise, it will became a nice flower ring, then you can just bake them!
This recipe is good for bread machine too!
Make 12 rolls
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 tspn salt (optional if salted butter used)
4 cups all purpose flour
*I alter with 3 cups all purpose flour with 1 cup wheat flour
2 tspn instant yeast
1. Warm milk at about 30C and let the yeast resolve in warm milk for 1-2 minutes.
* you could use microwave to warm the milk and use your finger to make sure the milk is not hot.
2. Mix all ingredient and knead until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
3. Set the dough to rise to double the size and remember to cover the dough with damp cloth.
4. Punch down dough to release air.
* this will take about 45 mins to an hour depends on the weather at your area.
5. divide dough in small rolls and let it rise
6. Egg brush your roll and bake at 160C for 15-18 mins
* I use egg white only.